Pizza is an Italian dish that has taken the world by storm. It is a staple food savoured by people of all ages and cultures. A slice of pizza is the perfect combination of cheese, sauce, and bread. However, there is more to pizza than what meets the eye. In this article, we will dive deeper into the history of pizza and some fun facts you didn't know.
History of Pizza
Pizza has a rich history that dates back to ancient times. The earliest form of pizza can be traced back to the ancient Greeks. They would cook flatbreads and top them with herbs, oils, and cheese. The Romans also had their version of pizza called "picea." It was a simple bread that was topped with cheese and honey.
However, it was the Italians who perfected the art of pizza-making. In the 18th century, pizza became a popular street food in Naples. It was a simple dish made with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and basil. It was often sold by street vendors carrying the pizzas in large metal boxes.
Pizza's popularity grew rapidly, eventually becoming a staple food in Italy. In 1905, the first pizzeria opened its doors in Naples. It was called Antica Pizzeria Port'Alba and is still in business today.
As Italian immigrants began settling in the United States, they brought their love for pizza. In 1905, Gennaro Lombardi opened the first pizzeria in the United States in New York City's Little Italy neighbourhood.
Fun Facts about Pizza
1. The world's largest pizza was made in Rome in 2012. It was 131 feet in diameter and weighed over 51,000 pounds.
2. The first pizza delivery was made in 1889. King Umberto I and Queen Margherita of Italy ordered pizza from Pizzeria Brandi in Naples. The pizza was topped with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and basil. It was named after Queen Margherita and has since become known as the Margherita Pizza.
3. The world's most expensive pizza costs $12,000. The "Louis XIII" pizza is made with three types of caviar, lobster, and a champagne-based sauce.
4. Pizza is the most popular food in the world. It is estimated that over 5 billion pizzas are sold worldwide each year.
5. The first frozen pizza was invented in 1957 by Rose Totino. She and her husband Jim, started making frozen pizzas in their basement in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They eventually went on to start Totino's pizza company.
6. The Hawaiian pizza, topped with pineapple and ham, was invented in Canada. It was created by Sam Panopoulos, who owned a pizzeria in Ontario.
7. In 2013 a pizza was delivered to the International Space Station. It was a pepperoni pizza that was specially made for the astronauts.
8. The world's largest pizza chain is Domino's. They have over 17,000 locations in 90 countries.
9. October is National Pizza Month in the United States.
10. Pizza is not just a food but also a work of art. There is a museum in Philadelphia called the Pizza Brain Museum of Pizza Culture, which is dedicated to pizza-related artifacts and memorabilia.
Pizza is a delicious food with a rich history and various fun facts. It has become a staple food in many countries worldwide, and people of all ages and cultures enjoy it. Whether you're hankering for a classic Margherita pizza or a more exotic combination of toppings, the appeal of a hot, fresh slice of pizza is sure to make your mouth water.
Come taste the best pizza in town Burnaby, BC at Pizza Garden! Don't miss out on our delicious pizzas made only with the freshest ingredients. Visit us today and experience the ultimate pizza satisfaction